Saturday, March 30, 2013

What's-His-Face/New Boy

Chapter #?? -- Linette

I sit down in my desk behind the new kid, looking at him as I walk past his desk. I gently set my books down on the desk and slide into the seat. I take out my phone and quickly respond to a text message from Kairos.

Kai: Hey, how's new boy? ;)

Me: Can you not? Seriously -.-

Kai: What?

Me: I have class... Bye, Kai.

Kai: Say hi to new boy for me ;) If you can talk to him, that is...

The new boy that came to school this past year turns around in his seat and puts his arm on my desk, brushing his fingers over my hand. I quickly jerk away from him and he brings his hand back to the side of the desk that's closer to him, blushing. "Hey, Linni... How're you?"

"I'm fine, Dalton... Thanks for asking." Dalton nods his head and then I nod mine. The bell rings and Dalton turns around to face the front of the classroom just as the teacher walks in.

"All right, my new-ish A.P. English class... Settle down, shut up, and... Mr. Kolby, pass these out. Everyone, Mr. Kolby is passing out Hamlet, by Shakespeare. Once you acquire the play, open to page 1 and I will now read the assigned parts - which will be as follows..."

Miss Wheaton's voice trails off as she begins to assign parts - or rather, I began tuning her out when she started talking (just like I always do). Dalton begins passing out books and when he gets to my desk, he stops, looks at me, blushes, and moves onto the next desk.

I am so focused on Dalton that I barely notice when Kairos comes in. "Thanks you Mr. Scully, for deciding to grace us with your presence this wonderful morning."

"My pleasure, Miss Wheaton." Kai bows and Miss Wheaton rolls her eyes at him.

"Get to your seat." Miss Wheaton continues to call out assignments as Kai sits down in his desk - next to me. He puts his backpack next to his seat and picks up the book that Dalton hands him, nodding at Dalton in thanks.

After Dalton is out of earshot, Kai leans over and wiggles his eyebrows as he says, "Hm... You and new boy are doing well, I see..?"

I roll my eyes and put my hand on his face, pushing him away. "You're stupid. Why are you even in this class?"

"Because... Because I can be. I'm smart."

"I believe that statement is debatable..."

"Miss Schuyler and Mr. Scully, I'll be happy to see you in detention this afternoon. And Mr. Scully, since you have been late quite a bit, I have decided to give you the role of Hamlet. Which means you will have to be on time to class in order for us to start class; therefore, it is a requirement that you be here on time, maybe even a little earlier, if you so please." Miss Wheaton pulls her glasses down and looks right at Kairos. "And I think you do..."

"Yes, Miss Wheaton..." Kairos rolls his eyes and turns back to me. "She hates me so much... Why?" I shrug and shake my head, opening Hamlet up to the first page as Kai begins to read.

Dalton sits down and turns around in his desk to face me. "There aren't enough copies... Would you mind if I shared with you?" I shake my head and push my book closer to Dalton.

Time goes by when you're sitting next to the boy you like. And before I know it, class is over - which also means that I won't see Dalton again until last period, in Social Studies. You might ask: Why do you have Social Studies as a class when you're a junior? My answer: I have no idea.

When I walk by Miss Wheaton's desk, I notice two copies of Hamlet. One is marked Teacher Copy and the other is marked Student Copy. "Miss Wheaton, did Dalton hand you this copy?" She nods and pulls her glasses down her nose.

"Yes. He said that every student had received a copy... Why do you ask?"

"No reason..." I walk outside of the classroom and Kairos, who was leaning on the doorway just as he always does, walks up next to me.

"What was that about?" I stare straight ahead and shake my head before looking at Kairos. "Is he up to something?"

"I don't know... But I'm pretty sure he likes me." Kairos stops walking and grabs me by the wrist, turning me around to face him. He opens his mouth to say something, but he then closes his mouth and just stares at me.

"Kairos..? Are you all right?"

"It's nothing... Forget it."

I've never understood why my friends do that - especially Kairos. But, ya know, it's whatever... He's always confused me. He's never liked it when I date someone, but then when he dates someone, I can't say a word about it. Even though Kairos has been dating this one girl for a really long time (about a year and a half now, I do believe), I can't say anything to him about my opinion of her without him getting mad at me.

Boys, I just don't understand them. And they don't understand women. It's the way things go, ya know?




This pertains to my book chapter. I can't even explain to you this... I came across it and thought of myself and of some of my friends. I just thought I might show it to you.






No comments:

Post a Comment