Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Little Birdy's Old Tale

Red. The clear, swift river has been contaminated with it. The small little stream is now flowing with it. The red color of blood stains his coat. His beautiful white fur is being desecrated with the awful color. Red is the color of blood. It contaminates, pollutes, spreads. And that is why the color of red, it is the color I hate.

"Henry!!" I nuzzle his neck with my nose, not seeing his chest rise and fall like it normally does when he breathes. I look down to his side and see a large splotch of red that has begun to spread all over his pure white coat. I sit down on my haunches in the river and wait for him to get up, even though somewhere deep inside of me I know he won't.

The snap of a twig makes me turn in the direction of the forest. I bare my teeth and let out a deep growl, meeting the hunter's eyes with my glowing green ones. I take one step over Henry, standing over him so that I can protect him. The hunter takes a step out in the open and aims his gun at me.

I lunge at him, but when an arm wraps around me, I begin to fight the man holding me down. I thrash about in his arms and he lets me go, but when I look up at him, I feel as though I know him. Then, I notice what about him seems familiar. His hair...

I hear another loud shot fire through the air and I immediately think of Henry as a heavy amount of pressure emanating from my chest begins to spread throughout my body. I am vaguely aware of the smell of fresh water filling my nostrils and the feeling of something wet running down the side of my face. I close my eyes as I begin to feel sleepy, and when I open them again, I feel...different.

I stand up and look around for the hunter, but I don't see him anywhere. "It's as though that idiotic hunter was never here..." I walk over to the edge of the woods and look to see if I can see the hunter, just to make sure that he's gone. That's when I notice that I am much taller than I was before. And I see that my fur is now some sort of fleshy substance instead of it being gray and... well, furry.

When I look down, there is some blue things on my legs that cover them completely and across my chest is a gray thing that covers my arms and reaches down past the top of the blue things. Something is covering my feet and they look like the things the hunter was wearing. "Jeans. Sweater. Boots." I look over to the man who spoke and I smile at him.

The white zip-up sweater that he's wearing compliments his bright-blue eyes and the blue jeans make his white hair look even whiter. The brown boots he's wearing are wet from the stream, but it seems as though he doesn't really care. I shrug and look away from him, smiling to myself as I gently run my fingers over the bark of the tree. "It's like there was a hunter inside of me all along. A human, I mean..."

The sound of someone whistling fills my ears and when I look over to see who it is, I see the man who was holding me down earlier. He's whistling to some birds.

One of the little birdies flies over to me and lands on my shoulder. "Hey there, little birdie... What did he tell you?"

"He told me that he... He loves you." Henry walks over to me and scoops me up in his arms, pressing his lips to mine.

"It's true. I do love you." I smile as he presses his cheek into my hair, and for some odd reason, I don't even really care or want to know what just went on because Henry and I are together and somehow human. And that's all that matters to me.

"I love you too." We sit in the snow as Henry hums the song that he sings to the birdies, and that's when I realize that the birdies shouldn't even have been near the river. So why was that little birdie here..? I shrug and rest my head on Henry's shoulder as he wraps his arm around my waist, pulling me close to him. I look up at the sky and somehow I know that this is the start of something new, something wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment